--> Many eyed bug thing- the diary of a Neighbours addict many eyed bug thing many eyes buggy eyes green thing buggy eyes many buggy eyed thing

Saturday, October 15, 2005

The Moa: the world's tallest bird

I would like to blog about science as easily as I do about history but I'm a little shy. The problem is that I don't know anything. I feel stupid. Whenever I post a scientific fact anyone with even an atom of knowledge will be saying 'Duh, we all knew that. Where were you?' Never mind, you will have to bear with me.

I've been listening to In Our Time quite a lot this week and I have particularly enjoyed hearing about the weird creatures that lived in other periods. I've heard about marsupial sabre tooth tigers, rolled up carpets with teeth and other species of human. Back in England I enjoyed those BBC series like Sea Monsters and Walking with Dinosaurs. My enjoyment was always rather spoilt by a geneticist who used to rail about what bad science these shows were. I don't know anything about the quality of popular science on tv. Their history equivalents can be a bit superficial but there's nothing to rail against.

If you're interested in strange creatures you might like this video talk about the Moa, the world's tallest bird. I've never seen a video on a museum website before and I think it's a fantastic idea. The talk is also a fascinating insight into Victorian natural history studies.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home