--> Many eyed bug thing- the diary of a Neighbours addict many eyed bug thing many eyes buggy eyes green thing buggy eyes many buggy eyed thing

Monday, September 19, 2005

Tullia d'Aragona

I wonder how many female writers are represented in Project Gutenberg catalogues. Already this morning I've come across two who strike me as being very interesting indeed. The second is the sixteenth-century Italian poet Tullia d'Aragona. You can read a brief biography of her life here and here , and the Italian text of some of her poems here. My Italian isn't good enough to read them without a very large dictionary so I can only catch the gist. The thing that makes her interesting to me is her career as a female writer. I know that focussing on her gender rather than her poetic ability does her a disservice as a writer; but what else can you do when history is to a large extent still dominated by men?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home