--> Many eyed bug thing- the diary of a Neighbours addict many eyed bug thing many eyes buggy eyes green thing buggy eyes many buggy eyed thing

Thursday, September 22, 2005

Mr. Spectator

The Spectator was first published in London on 1st March 1711. It appeared six times a week and by mid-March had a daily circulation of three thousand. It ran until issue no. 555 on 6th December 1712. (DNB) It was written by Richard Steele and Joseph Addison using the voice of Mr. Spectator, an imaginary narrator. In the first issue, transcribed here, Mr. Spectator said that he started the journal because he seldom spoke and he hoped:
to print myself out, if possible, before I die. I have been often told by
my friends, that it is pity so many useful discoveries which I have made should
be in the possession of a silent man. For this reason, therefore, I shall
publish a sheet-full of thoughts every morning, for the benefit of my
contemporaries; and if I can any way contribute to the diversion or improvement
of the country in which I live, I shall leave it, when I am summoned out of it,
with the secret satisfaction of thinking that I have not lived in vain.
I'm sure many bloggers have the same thought.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home